Applications Engineer/ Dual Master's Student
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA Expected June 2016
Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering with Human Space Exploration
Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering with Product Design
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering with Information Technology
Design Residency at Voxel8, Somerville, MA Oct 2015-Present
- Created tools to make personal fabrication intuitive for non-experts, including designing an in-house Voxduino—a 3D printed Arduino board with the ability to be programmed through the Arduino IDE.
- SolidWorks add-in provided ability to import circuits designed in Eagle into SolidWorks models to create 3D printed biomedical devices with embedded electronics
Dartmouth Medical Center for Spaceflight Research, Hanover, NH Jun 2015-Sep 2015
- Created a Matlab program that implemented statistical classification techniques to train an algorithm using manually segmented images to automatically detect edges of choroidal images for a venous circulation project focused on determining the effects of increased intra-cranial pressure on visual acuity of astronauts in micro-gravity.
Man-Vehicle Laboratory, Cambridge, MA Aug 2013-Present
- Researched human variability models using Vicon motion capture systems and IMUs to determine algorithmic effects of human sensor misplacement and misalignment on sensor outputs.
- Hoping to partner with Draper Laboratories to apply underlying rigid-body models and assumptions to increase efficiency of modules on the NASA Variable Vector Space Suit (V2 Suit)
Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), Los Angeles, CA Aug 2012-Aug 2013
- Researched, developed, implemented, built and tested components and material layers of an IVA space suit while interfacing with other crew systems including seats, environmental controls and life support systems (ECLSS), communications, and displays.
- Performed detailed space suit design, analysis, and development testing as part of design cycles.
- Prepared space suit qualification and acceptance test plans, test stands, and procedures.
Chronic Intermittent Hypoxia Habitat Concept, ALMA Observatory, Chile Jan 2015 – Sep 2015
- Led a team of students, engineers, and an architect to the design and validation of a portable, inflatable habitat used to reduce the physiological effects of intermittent hypoxia affecting JAXA workers building antennas in Chile’s Atacama Desert.
- In addition to creating CADs of the entire inflatable structure, I created a concept of operations, designed an environmental control and life support system, presented a novel helmet concept that maintains appropriate partial pressure of oxygen, and partnered with Chilean company Solunova to create a wearable sensor suite for real-time physiological data gathering to predict hypoxic events.
Fab-in-a-Box, Center for Bits and Atoms, MIT Media Lab, Cambridge, MA Jan 2015– July 2015
- Created and demoed at the 11th annual Fab Lab Conference a modular 5-axes, personal fabrication machine with interchangeable heads to allow for milling, vinyl cutting, and 3D printing, and incorporating the open source gestalt network for path planning with use of online modules.
Astronaut Smart Boot, MIT TechX Sponsored, Cambridge, MA Sep 2014 – May 2015
- Designed and manufactured an astronaut boot with sensors and an array of vibrators in the sole to provide tactile feedback and proprioceptive sense to astronauts during EVAs.
Amphibious Articulating Foot Orthotic
Aug 2014 – Dec 2014
- Designed and built an articulating foot orthotic to provide users with drop foot the ability to access and swim in a pool. Utilized a four-bar linkage to create a bi-stable position of the ankle to appropriately change the user’s foot from plantar- to dorsi-flexed for swimming, or exiting and entering the pool.
- Private Pilot, Open Water Diver, CPR Certified
- CNC machining, Laser cutting, Electronics design and production, 3D Scanning and Printing, Molding and Casting, Embedded programming, Composites.
Computer Aided Design:
- SolidWorks, NX7.5, Motion Studio, OpenSim, Nexus Motion Capture; Visio, Vector-based Graphic Design (Inkscape), Mastercam, Eagle
- Matlab, Java, Processing, Arduino, Latex, HTML, CSS, Drupal, SVN (Mercurial)
- Fluent in Spanish and English; Conversational Portuguese;