SpaceWorks Enterprises, Inc./Terminal Velocity Aerospace
Spacecraft Hardware Engineer
With advances in microelectronics, small spacecraft are increasingly capable of performing high-value scientific and commercial missions. At Terminal Velocity Aerospace (TVA), we are extending the utility of small spacecraft beyond orbital flight to the reentry domain. TVA designs and builds small reentry capsules for data collection and small payload return applications. These services enable more frequent and routine utilization of space, and support the emerging commercial space industry. TVA's small capsules reenter the Earth's atmosphere at over 16,000 mph and survive temperatures in excess of 2,000 degrees Celsius. We are seeking talented individuals to help us tackle the associated engineering challenges and build space flight hardware. If you are a builder with a passion for space, and are comfortable with the responsibility that comes with a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, we want to hear from you!
The Spacecraft Hardware Engineer works in a small team setting to develop TVA's Reentry Devices (REDs), including RED-4U for return of small payloads from space. You will have a high degree of responsibility for the complete product lifecycle from design to fabrication, test, and flight.
• 1-8 years experience required
• Position is available immediately. Candidates must be able to begin work in the near term.
• Atlanta, GA
• BS degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering, related field, or equivalent practical experience
• Knowledge and experience across a broad set of skills required for small spacecraft development that could include, for example: subsystem design, 3D drafting, mechanical modeling/simulation, thermal analysis, controls engineering, ground testing, fabrication, instrumentation/sensors, consumer electronics, and vendor management
• Mechanical engineering competencies including 3D CAD software (SolidWorks preferred) and associated thermal and structural analysis
• Orbital mechanics knowledge/experience (reentry trajectories and related analysis preferred)
• Object-oriented computer programming skills (MATLAB and C preferred)
• Knowledge of fabrication processes, materials, and integration/assembly
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
• Master's degree in Engineering or related field
• 3+ years relevant experience
• Hands-on experience with machine shop equipment and 3D printing
• Experience performing thermal and structural analysis
• Experience with spaceflight hardware test and qualification
• Working knowledge of thermal protection systems for reentry
• Experience with electronics design and embedded flight code development
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please reference the job title in the subject line.